Form Follows Function
It goes without saying that some of the best designed spaces are pleasing to the eye, but you may be surprised to learn that the designs I find most inspirational aren’t simply “pretty.” Yes, my most favorite designs are textural, intricate, and refined, but most importantly, they are practical. Interior design and everything that goes along with it gets lost when the decisions you make for a room focus completely on aesthetics and not on the inhabitants needs. For example, a simple console table may look great in your family room, but if your apartment is lacking storage space, it might not do the job of limiting clutter and giving accessories a ‘home’ that keeps the room a tidy, pleasant, and useful space.
So, does that mean you can’t have that console table? Of course not! Yes, the easy solution would be to nix the idea all together and instead invest in something more robust, but who wants to take the easy route? You’ve already fallen in love with that console table, and that generally means it’s the right choice for you. The solution just requires a little creativity.
So what are your options? To start, it’s important to identify just how much storage space you actually need. Of course, this will vary from home to home. Our apartment is filled to the brim with throw blankets, dog toys, design magazines, and on and on. Figuring out what fills your space will help you identify your needs. The mission is to find that ‘home’ for each item, possibly out of sight, while keeping everything accessible and maintaining a stylish and well-designed space. Once you’ve identified all your ‘stuff,’ you move on to finding the accessories your space needs to make tidiness reality.
To list every possible storage solution that could contribute to achieving the overall design vision would take far too long, so instead, here are my top 5 examples that don’t force you to choose between being practical and designing your dream family room.
My Top 5 Storage Solutions
- Storage Ottomans: Depending on the room, Storage Ottomans can be ideal for storing items such as throw blankets, clothing, and even work files!
- Hooks and Racks: Sometimes it’s okay to leave things “hanging around” at home. Interestingly enough, unique coat racks or even fun wall hooks can add to your overall décor while offering you a practical place to throw your coat, dog’s leash, or car keys!
- Storage Sofa: You can literally store things in the sofa! Need I say more?
- Baskets: Whether used to store towels, magazines, toys, or firewood, there is always something lying around that can be left out on display in a cute basket.
- Bar Carts : Have a smaller kitchen? Why not display your liquors and prettiest bar accessories on a bar cart rather than hiding them in a cabinet where no one ever sees them!
Be sure to follow us on Instagram for all the latest wellness-through design, and also keep your eyes here for more exclusive content, including a look at our upcoming premium, beautiful art-piece oil diffuser!
Live Well, and Be Well.
Leave a comment